Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Surgery Report

It's been 6 days since my anterior lateral fasciotomy. And I feel like it was just yesterday.

Mom and Greg took me first to the DMV to pick up my handicapped pass. Mom and I went in while Greg stayed outside to eat so I didn't have to look at his delicious bagel. While we waited we watched a man, a very kind man, who was pushing 90 get his DRIVER'S LICENSE RENEWED! His daughter had to re-tell him everything the DMV attendant was saying bc his hearing aid must not have been turned up high enough. he couldn't read all the lines so they asked him if he saw blinking lights. We just sat there and stared. The guy in front of us took a picture of all this with his camera phone.

Next stop: Advaced Orthopaedic Surgery Center.
It was a very quick sign in and they brought me to the back. I barely had time to sit down before I was kissing mom and Greg bye. After getting int the gorgeous gown and cap, they brought mom and Greg back to sit with me. It was definitely entertaining being in that place! so much going on. I met with different nurses, doctors, anestesi...well don';t make me spell it. let me tell ya - that guy was a bundle of energy. He was going to put me to sleep without any drugs. But I guess that's a good thing. They finally wheeled me to the back. The room was big and white.

Next thing I know I bolted awake! The first thng I said, "Did I talk in my sleep?" Unfortunately not. "Well did I do anything fun in my sleep?" No. "Man, I'm boring". I rub my eyes and there's mom and Greg back to see me!

We went home and I already had the sofa bed pulled out ready for my arrival. But first I had to pee something crazy! I guess this is what pregnant women feel like. They told me when I got home to eat and take my medicine, including 2 percocets every 4 hours for the first 48 hours. Clearly they do not realize that I am tough. I only need 1 percocet at a time. Holy hell - give me more percocet! They weren't kidding. And you have to eat with it, and not just a little sampler, but a meal to not get sick. So I had LOTS of pizza, chik-fil-a, ice cream...the works! (calories don't count after surgery)

A few of my girlfriends came by and kept me company and everyone has been tkaing SUCH good care of me. It's very hard being dependent on people. I can't even carry the laundry to the washing machine! It's like not only did I lose the use of a leg, but also both arms because they are holding the crutches.

On Saturday night I noticed a red spot around my knee. It was VERY tender and warm to the touch. I called in adn the on-call doc called me back and told me to outline the area and then call back if it grows. Sunday morning it was looking good. The Sunday night it came back...bigger! So I call in and this time the on call doc, was my own Dr. Z. He wass concerned I had an infection! He thought about asking me to meet him at the ER, but then decided that it was probably cellulitis (cellu-what!!! um that word and I don't get along). So I went in first thng monday morning to see him. he was waiting for me when I got there. But the "hot spot" was gone again. So then he sent me over to the hospital to have a blood clot test done. As I was wheeled around the hospital by a 90 year old man - there is something wrong with this picture - but his son in PA does triathlons, too! blood clot came back negative - thank goodness!!! my leg was re-wrapped so I could bend my ankle better for my ankle pumps. Yowsers! those hurt!

I am feeling better. Night time is hard. it is just plain uncomfortable. my foot is swollen, but I can get a sneaker on it now. I start PT with TG Annie on Friday - I hope she's nice to me! and then on monday the blessed day. I get my stitches out.

Other exciting weekend news: B.D. IS WALKING!


kayrob said...

Congrats to BD!!!! Can't believe he's old enough to walk!!! Good thing one of you can... :)

Sounds like you're getting top notch care up there... I am sending lots of love your way, too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you, Greg, and friends are taking good care of you....had to lol on the ninety year old getting his license. At least he went to the DMV. When my granddad was ninety, they MAILED him the renewal stuff so he could just get it in the mail!!! Are you kidding me? I stole it and kept it from him.
Glad you're up and around. Oh, and hold onto your leftover percoset. After my surgeries, I had some left. Great for those times when you're exercising, falling down or whatever and need a little pain med!